Buildings and Facilities
As early as 1877 Holbrook (then known as Germanton) had a Catholic School with 27 pupils, the teacher being a Miss Prendergast. The foundation stone for the Church was laid in 1885 and the completed church was blessed by Fr. (later Bishop) Gallagher on 8th May, 1887. In 1955 the church was remodelled, the position of the altar changed and a new wing built on. The first Presbytery was commenced in 1882 and completed the following year. The present Presbytery was built in 1959.
In 1892 sisters from the Order of St. Joseph arrived in Germanton and as the convent was not completed, they resided in the Presbytery. The new convent, when completed, was enclosed by a high galvanised iron fence and a brick wall, on top of which broken bottles had been cemented. The nuns taught school in the church. The Sisters of St. Joseph left Holbrook at the end of 1985 and since then the school has been staffed by lay teachers.
Additions were completed on the convent in 1952 and the convent is now used as a business centre. A new boundary fence was erected in 2009.
Our oldest school building was blessed and opened on 13th May, 1917. Another wing was commenced in the early 60’s and the administration and tuckshop area was added in 1984. In 1990, a new kindergarten classroom was built along with new toilets and wet weather walking areas.
In 2009/2010 three new classrooms and a COLA were built, and the oldest building converted back to a hall. In 2011 the front fence was replaced.
In 2020 the grounds underwent major upgrades. A new playground which meets the NSW standards was installed, a nature play space, and a dedicated K/1/2 play space including a bike track and island complete with tee-pee.
2021 saw the demolition of the administration building and library, with a new modern fit for purpose administration block being built. The new administration block will house a welcoming entrance/foyer, reception area, sick bay, meeting rooms, new staff facilities including a purpose built outdoor space and bathroom facilities. Room 1 will be given a much needed refurbishment and Room 2 and Room 3 will be joined with sliding glass doors to enable the classrooms to be opened into a collaborative learning hub on occasion.
The sports court which was established in 1985 by parents and parishioners is currently under-construction and will provide a multiuse competition size sports court marked for Netball and Basketball.